Literary and Ethnographic Museum named after Lev Tolstoy was established by the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Chechen-Ingush Republic on December 31, 1980 and the order of the Minister of Culture No. 82 dated December 12, 1980 as a branch of the Chechen-Ingush Local History Museum. Since the establishment of the museum, it has been visited by tens of thousands of people from all parts of the former Soviet Union, from other countries and continents. The museum is located in a former school building, built in 1913.
This school, which was the first in Russia, was given the name of Lev Tolstoy in 1914. The exposition is located in four halls and a corridor. The first room tells about the beginning of the literary activity of the great writer (here in the village Starogladovskaya was written his first book - "Childhood"), about his friendship with the young Chechens from the village of Stary Yurt.
In the second hall an interesting material about the book "Cossacks" and the village Starogladovskaya was collected.
The third hall is a story about the military service of the writer in the Caucasus. By the way, he was not then an officer, he served as a fireworker, and he received the highest decree about conferring him an officer's rank after his departure from
Caucasus. In his first military essay, which was written here, he condemned the Caucasian war as senseless and cruel ...
The fourth hall tells about the story "Hadji Murad" and the last years of the life of the great writer. The theme of the exposition located in the corridor is "Lev Tolstoy and Chechen-Ingushetia. "
A typological corner "The Court of the Cossack and Highlander of the middle of the 19th century" is presented separately. Stylized constructions of the times of Lev Tolstoy, household items, tools of labor are presented here.
The literary and ethnographic museum of Lev Tolstoy, despite the socio-political and social problems, is now one of the functioning cultural institutions of the Chechen Republic.
Address: Voroshilova Street, Starogladovskaya village, Shaelkovsky district
Opening hours: from 09:00 to 18:00
Phone: +7 (928) 641 08 42