In the village of Paraboch, Shelkovsky District of the Chechen Republic, there is a two-storey house that once belonged to the retired Major-General Akim Khastatov, who was married to the sister of a grandmother of Lermontov, Ekaterina Stolypin.
Khastatov was a descendant of immigrants from Armenia. He served in the Russian army, participated in the Russian-Turkish war of 1787-1791, retired in the rank of major general, was married to Ekaterina Stolypina. They had three children: Mary, Anna and Akim.
Khastatov died in 1809 in St. Petersburg. The widow with the children went to the North Caucasus, where she lived in the village of Goryachevodsk, then in the house near the Terek River. Elizabeth Arsenyeva and her grandson Mikhail Lermontov went to their sister for the first time in 1818.
Children of Khastatov became good friends of little Mikhail, and in the further adult life they met each other many times.
Time spent in the house of Ekaterina Khastatova, made a great impression on the future poet. Here, for the first time he heard the songs of the Greben Cossacks, their stories about the mountain people and adventures. Here came the Chechens and Kumyks, who sold all sorts of food. Mikhail Lermontov heard their sad songs and saw dances.
In 1837, Mikhail Lermontov was exiled to the Caucasus for the poem "Death of the Poet", dedicated to the tragic death of Alexander Pushkin. He visited the house of Khastatov which was familiar to him since childhood. Khastatov told him about his adventures, and how he kidnapped the Kumyk girl Bella, and what romantic relationship he had with her. This plot served as the basis of the novel "The Hero of Our Time".
The famous people such as A. Dumas, the future pride of Russian literature Lev Tolstoy, the famous Admiral I. Potanin, as well as cosmonaut V. Komarov and many others have visited the house of Khastatov.
By decree of Peter the Great, a silk production factory was built near the Terek River in 1718. The construction of the plant was commissioned by the Armenian merchant Safar Vasilyev. After the construction of the silk plant, there was founded the village of Shelkovskaya in 1718.
Since 1764, the owner of the silk factory was Akim Khastatov. At the end of September 1722, after returning from the Persian campaign, Peter the Great visited the left bank of the Terek, the Grebensk villages and the silk plant, which by that time had grown into a fairly large-scale production.
On the Terek there were all conditions for the silkworm farms. Armenians masters from Kizlar taught the Terek Cossacks and Chechens to build the farms.
On the 150th anniversary of the birth of the great Russian poet M. Lermontov, in 1964 a memorial plaque was installed on the house of Khastatov, testifying to his stay in the Khastatov house in 1818, 1837 and 1840.
Many republican publications in the 60-80s mentioned the house of Khastatov in Paraboch. In the late 70's, visiting the two-storey house of Khatatov, TASS correspondent for the Chechen-Ingush ASSR, Georgy Nasokov, saw a "terrible picture of an untidy old house." He wrote with great regret and sadness the article "Strong oak bent and rustled" in the newspaper "Komsomol tribe" for March 6, 1979, in which he was perplexed: "But what about the memory of the poet?" Of course, it was a question of creating a museum of the great poet.
Scientists and employees of the Chechen State Joint Museum persuaded the leadership and the public of the republic in the need to create a museum of M. Lermontov on the basis of the preserved house of Khastatov. The Chechen-Ingush television in 1984 organized the program "Homestead of Khastatov from Paraboch", in which prominent writers of the republic participated.
By the decision of the Council of Ministers of the Chechen-Ingush Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic on August 11, 1987, the house of the former Khastatov house in the village of Paraboch of the Shelkovsky district was declared a monument of history and culture.
On October 15, 1989, the literary and folklore festival dedicated to the 175th anniversary of the birth of M. Lermontov was held for the first time, which marked the beginning of a new tradition to celebrate here annually the birthday of the great poet.
Literary Museum named after M. Lermontov was established by the Ministry of Culture of the Chechen Republic on October 8, 2004 on the basis of the house of Khastatov in the village of Paraboch. Its official opening took place on June 3, 2006.
Address: Lermontova Street, 11, Paraboch village, Shelkovsky district of the Chechen Republic.
Opening hours: from 10:00 to 17:30, besides Sunday and Monday
Phone: +7(928) 087 34 34